East Toronto Combined Sewer
East Toronto and Midway Sewershed
Smalls Creek, Tomlin's Creek
Year of Construction:
5'x5'9" concrete arch with brick floor and central channel.
Also Known As:
Kingston Road Sewer
The East Toronto and Midway Sewer System
The East Toronto Combined Sewer serves the area around the southwest end of Kingston Road, and would have been pricipally built to provide sewer service for the former municipality of East Toronto, which was annexed by the City of Toronto in 1908. It is a concrete arch with a brick floor and central channel. Near the intersection of Dundas Street and Kingston Road, the dry-weather flow is diverted by a weir into a much smaller sewer that takes it south to a larger sewer at Queen Street where it flows west to the Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant. Several other small combined sewers would have once emptied into the East Toronto Sewer, but are now similarly directed into the smaller pipe.
Michael Cook is available to speak to your organization about infrastructure history, lost creeks, current conditions, and opportunities for change in our management of and communication about urban watersheds, and to work with teams proposing or implementing such change. Get in touch.